dissabte, de setembre 17, 2005

Busy Week

I just finished the second week of class. That's usually when people have figured out what they need to do for class but I'm still figuring out where all the various levels of Spanish are at, what I do and do not need to review, and of course, watching the chemistry develop in the class. Each class has it's own collective "personality" so as an instructor, you learn what flies in terms of good explanations, jokes, etc. You also figure out who the funny kid is and rely on him (it's usually a male, not sure why) when all else fails.

Anyway, I'm really pleased with my classes so far. My students seem so hardworking, thoughtful, and just plain nice. I've even had a few thank me for class or tell me that they really think Spanish is fun now. Wow. It blows me away and that's the kind of stuff I need to file away for the bad days.

On top of my very full load of my own classes, a colleague left for a family emergency this week so I took on one of her classes too. The first day was rough since I had limited experience with what that particular level was about, I had the wrong text, and I had no idea where they had left off. It came together, though, and I even started learning some of their names and a little more about them.

So, after a long week for both myself and Austin, we were totally low-key last night, doing our traditional Movie Night. We got a Papa Murphy's pizza (artichoke and onion mix, delish), a cheap but decent Aussie red wine to go with it, and we happened to have "Saw" from Netflix so we watched that. It was a horror flick with an interesting premise but it wasn't terribly well done. The dude from "Princess Bride" was in it and by the end of the movie, his face was so caked with white powder that I was distracted and unable to think about the movie at all. He looked like a doughboy. Was he supposed to look pale and frightened? Ill? Ghostly? I don't know what they were going for but he looked like he had simply dipped his face into a vat of flour, very weird.

Nonetheless, the Movie Night was just what we needed. Today we have the fun project of cleaning out the garage (residual moving junk is in there) so that the cars can live in there properly. Then this evening I will be hanging out with my friend, LeeAnne, downtown Hudson where we will have dinner at San Pedro Cafe. I'm really looking forward to it since I hung out a lot in Hudson when I was in college and I think I've only been back once since then.

2 Comments:

At 11:47 a. m., de setembre 17, 2005, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Hudson is the original "escape from River Falls" town. I went to the Hudson public library to work on my Semester Abroad paper when I was at those moments where you I couldn't get anything done in my own apartment because there were too many distractions.

Also I know what you mean about the male students. I always have a "wild and crazy guy" or 3. It's like they need to be the alpha male of the class or something. :) But they do bring the comic relief, especially during oral presentations. So high fives for them.

 
At 11:39 a. m., de setembre 21, 2005, Blogger rhyan/djay said...

I thought the movie "Saw" was good, although I understand what you're saying about his super-pasty whiteface. I wonder if they replaced the actor with a different guy and all that stuff was actually the molding to make him look like the original guy? ;^)

Hey! I commented on your blog! Wahoo!!!

 

Publica un comentari a l'entrada

<< Home