dijous, de gener 26, 2006

Teeth and Queens

Teeth update: I went back to the oral surgeon yesterday and was able to have the medicated gauze removed forever, yay! Now at least I don't have that horrible taste and the other minor irritations of the gauze to contend with. It's just a matter of another week, week and a half until things will grow back to normal. So, 3-4 weeks after the surgery I might be totally normal again and, to celebrate, I believe we'll go to the new authentic taquería (taco joint) in town.

Last night I went to my book club and we discussed The Red Queen, a book that was originally recommended by Austin. It argues that sex and reproduction are the main reasons for evolution. I found the idea that evolution is change but not progress (a treadmill rather than a ladder) quite interesting. The title comes from the Red Queen in Alice in Wonderland who keeps running but gets nowhere because the landscape moves with her. It also had some interesting observations of both humans and animals that were more fun to read than the sciencey parts. For example, a woman is more likely to conceive with her lover rather than her husband. Admittedly, though, only one person finished the entire book. It was fairly dense and it simply takes awhile to mull over the ideas and arguments so I think next month's choice, Bee Season, will definitely be easier to get through.

As for this weekend, we will be celebrating Austin's birthday with dinner at a yet-to-be-determined location and we will crack one of our nice bottles of wine that we got for Christmas. Other than that, it's the first weekend we've been home in a long time and I'm looking forward to it!