dijous, de juliol 06, 2006

Adventures in Housekeeping

So I get married and suddenly I'm a 50's housewife, crazy! But seriously, having this summer off has been great. I've actually managed to do a lot of projects I had been wanting to do and life feels so much more organized.

Today's adventure was cleaning out the fridge. I had made a flan that spilled on the bottom shelf in the back so there was that sticky, oozy sugary caramel all over. I had to pull all the removable fridge bits out and throw them into the bathtub in order to get them cleaned. Then there was the trouble of the cold, congealed stuff that was stuck to the non-removable fridge parts. I had to get rags of hot water and lay them on the blobs a few times to soften them up enough to scrub them off. Oh, and of course in moving pieces and rags around, some of the goo ended up on the floor too. It was a long process but now I have the cleanest damn fridge this side of 1953!

Besides worky stuff, last night I finished a Spanish novel that I had been meaning to read, "La Sombra del viento." It was really good, about a little boy who finds a mysterious novel and starts searching for the author. It felt like such an accomplishment to read a whole novel in Spanish for pleasure. I couldn't put it down! That sensation hasn't happened very often in the past and this is the first book en español that I've read since leaving my grad program a few years ago.

There are a few things coming together on the professional side of things, too, even though it's summer. I don't want to get ahead of myself but I've been looking into some interesting opportunities that would make the summer feel a bit more productive than just the domestic stuff.