dissabte, de febrer 10, 2007

Signs of Spring?

I slept in this morning and reveled in waking up when there was actual daylight streaming in, feels so much better on the body. As I was making my tea, I heard birds chirping. It struck me because I haven't heard that sound for a long time in this frozen, dead world that is the Upper Midwest. I realize that there are birds that stay all winter long so it could be those kinds of birds and maybe they also have the sense to wake up with the sun (which would explain why I never see them on my way to work at 7:15). The combination of the birds and the bright sunlight made me dare to think a little about spring.

The current temperature, however, is six below and 19 below with windchill. Also, I am painfully aware that spring doesn't fully move in here until about May, even if we get a few teases in April, so I know not to get my hopes up (Hemingway tells us there is nothing more cruel than a false spring).

I'll experience the arctic blast firsthand when Austin and I head out to run some errands. I think we are going to pick up some king crab legs for our V-day dinner.

Etiquetes de comentaris: ,