diumenge, de juliol 30, 2006

Weekend Recap

Friday-- Austin had had a week of some rather stressful worky goings-on so we decided not to go anywhere. We watched two more episodes of Lost and then I made homemade pesto using our own basil and our new food processor. It was pretty good and the Austin gamed and I read most of the night.

Saturday-- We ran to the grocery store to get grilling stuff for a going away party for one of Austin's buddies. We did brats and a few sides plus beer and cider. Two of Austin's friends and later the guest of honor showed up for the grilling then I took them to a bar to drop them off but I stayed for a drink and a horrible game of darts (horrible on my part). I don't normally drink cider so it didn't have the nice effects of wine, making sleeping a real pain. I think I got just a few hours.

Today-- I woke up tired but made breakfast and then got a call from a friend who was going to be passing through town. I had known about this possiblity but never heard anything back so I didn't think it was going to work out. Well, it did so that gave me the motivation to clean up the house a little and myself too. We had a nice visit with the two of them and took them to our favorite Mexican place which they loved.

Now I'm catching up on laundry and have lowered all the blinds to trick myself into getting ready for bed earlier. The 20 hours of sun we get every day make it hard for me to go to bed early and hard for me to sleep in. Tomorrow, however, I'll be waking up at the sweet hour of 4:45 a.m. to head out of town with a colleague to do some research on how Mexican farm employees are learning English on-site. This research may or may not lead to a presentation this spring, we'll see. I know it will prove very intersting but leaving at the crack of dawn just doesn't inspire me. Thankfully this opportunity did not come up during the academic year, I can handle it for a day.