dimecres, d’octubre 25, 2006

Fall Mornings

The sunrise machine is working splendidly! For those who know me well, it's no secret that I need any and all sleep help I can get. Falling asleep and staying asleep is a frequent problem that I experience though I'm finding ways to get it under control. I currently sleep with a fan on (for white noise only), a clock-radio that makes cricket chirps all night (extra white noise), the atomic clock must be set so I know I'll wake up at exactly the right time, and now the sunrise machine provides additional back-up to the atomic clock (what if the batteries die?). Well, I guess the atomic alarm clock is really the back-up to the sunrise machine because the sunrise provides a much gentler way to wake up on a dark fall morning with its warm, incandescent glow slowly filling the room. Yeah, a real sunrise would be better, but I'll take this as second best anytime.

This weekend we fall back which will help a little bit in the mornings though the sunrise machine will still earn its keep all through the long winter. Incidentally, this weekend we'll be at a family event in northern WI and sharing a hotel room with Sean and Angie. This means I'll be completely stripped of my sleeping tools but I'm hoping the excitement of the day and the good food and wine will help me catch some Zzzz's in this interesting little hotel that has six rooms.

Looking forward to the weekend but today is only Wednesday.