dissabte, de setembre 09, 2006

Recap

We had the Mexican party, ate some form of taco for days after, and I went back to work. Everytime I'm off for awhile between semesters or in the summer, I miss my work but enjoy the vacation. Then when I go back to teaching, with a new batch of students, I remember just how much I love my job. It's always a realization and it's always striking; I know I like what I do but there's something about being back to it and actually running around the classroom that feels like a revelation. Trying to draw a shrimp on the board, acting out falling asleep, and giving empassioned explanations of accentuation that actually make students laugh is the best feeling.

Having desperate students try to get into my class with outlandishly dramatic stories is not so great but after next week, that part will be over and the molding and shaping and acquiring of language will really take off.

So, I started work and have been back to the teaching stuff. Last night we attended a department dinner with the theme of "Little Bites" so we brought mini lime tartlets topped with fresh-picked raspberries from the Farmers Market.



The recipe was incredibly easy since we cheated and use pre-made phyllo cups. We just mixed together cream cheese, fresh-squeezed lime juice, some lime zest, and some sweetened condensed milk. We chilled it, piped it into the shells, and topped with the berries. The tartlets weren't as elaborate or labor-intensive as some of the little bites provided by other department gourmands but they turned out well and had a lovely mini-cheesecake taste to them.

After the department fête, we moved on and met up with another couple at a coffee shop to hear a band. The opening "free jazz" as they called it was not so good but when the real thing showed up, they were pretty good. Since it was a coffee shop, it was full of high school kids and/or underclassman from the university. I felt kind of old, especially since I appeared to be the only one there who knew all the words to and fully recognized their cover of the Violent Femme's "Blister in the Sun." Hmph. Also, when the guitarist got all crazy with his little peddle thing, I shouted out "You're the new Edge!" And he was all, "Who? I'm only 20 years old, ma'am!" j/k about part of that response.

It was a good night and we love doing our social events on Friday because now it feels like we have a vast expanse of weekend at our disposal. It's going to be in the 60's today, feeling like fall, so I lit my spiced pumpkin candles and got some flowers from the Farmers Market too. It's a good weekend.

2 Comments:

At 8:47 p. m., de setembre 09, 2006, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Good idea with the tarlets.

I feel the same way about getting back to work!

 
At 10:00 a. m., de setembre 11, 2006, Blogger rhyan/djay said...

You make the best looking food ever!

 

Publica un comentari a l'entrada

<< Home