divendres, de desembre 01, 2006

First of December with Snow

I got to work around 7:30 and there was a tiny amount of snow on the ground but nothing was happening falling from the sky during the drive in. I finished some lesson plans in my lovely windowless office and got up to make some copies when I saw that it had begun to snow. It's the perfect, lovely kind of snow that was falling softly in the bluish morning light and it made me want to just curl up tonight and do my Christmas cards.

Yes, I'm a huge dork and I absolutely love making real mail. I love email but for certain occasions (weddings, birthdays, babies, holidays), paper is essential. I enjoy creating my holiday mail and sending it out into the world; in some tiny way I guess it allows me to travel vicariously through my inked words. I think the farthest our cards will go will be to Russia; I always think about my letter's long journey and how they process mail there when it comes addressed in a completely different alphabet. I also love getting some cards back; the postmarks and stamps and envelopes make me happy when I'm collecting our mail after work because I know right away they are not junk or bills.

I always force myself to wait until December 1 to send things out although this year, I won't have them ready right away. For one thing, I'm writing a holiday letter and it's proving extremely difficult to write to such a diverse audience without sounding like a cheese ball.

For another thing, I'm going to be running errands and getting ready for a big bachelorette bash at our place this weekend. Yep, a week from today, my bro is tying the knot and I'm hosting his bride's last hurrah. Angie's only request is to get "rowdy" so I have a feeling it's going to be an interesting weekend without much time for the genteel art of letter writing, heh.