dijous, de desembre 07, 2006

Wedding Bells and Sleigh Bells

Last weekend, Austin and I hosted Sean and Angie's bachelor/ette parties. All I'm going to say about it is that if you know Angie, well, the event was totally Angie. Anyway, we did that because they are getting married on December 8 which happens to be TOMORROW! Wow, little did we know at my wedding that another sib would manage to tie the knot before 2006 was over.

Sean and Angie are getting the paperwork done tomorrow followed by a family dinner at a cool restaurant in town. The vows-n-veil event will take place at sunset on the beach in Cancun on January 18th. I'm looking forward to the pre-party tomorrow but am getting really excited about going to Cancun with my entire immediate family plus a few others when it's 20 below in Minnesconsin.

Then on Saturday morning, we're going to Austin's mom's house for her wedding which is also not supposed to be a huge deal, just a little paperwork making her already-established relationship with Dave even more established in terms of the legal stuff. It's going to be a small group with lots of good food and merriment, exactly how the couple wants it and these guests aren't complaining either.

Besides all the excitement that's going on right now with holidays and nuptials, it's the end of the semester so that means lots going on, of course. Taking a class has added to the usual workload; it's been ages since I've had to get together for a group project or make a diorama (don't ask).

In order to free up a little more time, tomorrow will be my last day with the four year olds and I have to admit, the little buggers have grown on me. Once I stopped thinking about them as little people or students and simply started finding them to be amusing little creatures, it helped a lot. I'm not saying that the rigorous academic standards of preschool Spanish were compromised with this change of mindset, never!, but I had to remember that the content comes second when dealing with kids. We have made up some fun games, like "guess how old I am" or, when they wouldn't write their names on papers, I'd make up names for them like "Snuffles" or "Moozie" which was high-larious and I was the funniest person in the whole world for a split second. They've really taught me a lot, those little four year old hellions.

At night, I've even found a little time to start my Xmas cards. I had to scrap the idea of a newsletter; everything I wrote was horrendously cheesy and too embarrassing to ever send out to anyone who knows us. I did the same thing last year so Austin now has strict instructions to never let me do a holiday letter, no matter how good of an idea I seem to think it is. Anyway, I've said before I love making mail so I find it relaxing to write a few every night before bed with a cup of my favorite holiday tea.

I can't wait for finals week since I will have time to do other holiday-ish things. I give all my finals on Friday, the 22nd which is a huge pain in many ways but the benefit is that I'll have some less-busy time during the week to possibly bake, put up some decorations, wrap gifts, etc. That is, if I'm not called in for jury duty which is a distinct possibility unless some trials get canceled...