dilluns, de maig 28, 2007

Weekend

Hmm, now that classes are done, having a three day weekend doesn't have quite the effect it does during the school year. Friday we ran a few errands and made dinner and ate outside. I grilled some corn, buttered it, then rolled it in cotija cheese and squeezed lime on it. Really good but the grilling part was sort of irrelevant. You could easily boil the corn and not have to worry about pulling the husks down, removing the silk, pulling the husks back up, soaking in water, grilling, then removing husks. Just sayin'.

Saturday we started getting ready for our Sunday night get-together. Austin made his usual, awesome salsa and I gave the salsa verde a try, roughly basing my creation off this recipe. I had only worked with tomatillos once before so it was enjoyable but with tomatillos at $3.99/lb, well, I guess I don't feel a burning need to make my own salsa verde again. Especially not with our favorite, nearby Mexican restaurant selling it by the pint...

Anyway, along with the salsa, we did a few other food prep tasks and some cleaning. Having people over is always good for the house cleaning because it means we have to clean to a level beyond our own sometimes lazy standards.

Saturday night we went to my friend and colleague's wedding reception. It happened to be where we had ours and happened to be just a year shy of when we were last there for our own wedding. It was fun to be on the guest side of it and really appreciate the venue.

Sunday we got ready for our guests. I made 14 lemon tartlets that we topped with fresh raspberries and mint. I basically used this recipe which was the only recipe to survive the big dinner I made when Austin returned from The Great Paintball War. Instead of doing one big lemon tart, however, Austin had the idea of doing individual tartlets and luckily there are pre-made graham cracker shells just for that (I'm just not big on making my own crusts, bad housewife ha).

In addition to the tartlets, I made a really easy pasta salad that I had at a friend's graduation party a week ago. I just boiled up some pasta nuggets and tossed it with chopped artichoke hearts, peppercorn feta, and jarred pesto sauce. At the last party, they also included cherry tomatoes.

Later, Austin grilled brats and burgers and a boca-brat for me. There was much grazing throughout the evening and I think we'll be grazing on the leftovers today.

Etiquetes de comentaris: ,

1 Comments:

At 10:14 a. m., de maig 29, 2007, Blogger Matt Hoy said...

much fun was had by all, and the tartlets were fantastic. Thanks again for having us over.

 

Publica un comentari a l'entrada

<< Home