dimarts, de novembre 15, 2005

Pumpkin Flan? Not so much.

I finally got around to trying out the pumpkin flan recipe since I had envisioned the little flans so cute, the perfect Thanksgiving dessert for a meal hosted by a Spanish teacher. Luckily I tried them first. No, they weren't a huge disaster but the problem was in carmelizing in the sugar. I have done this before several times just on my own but this time decided to follow the recipe. This resulted in a huge crystaline lump of sugar but no caramel. Then Austin dug up the Alton Brown method, we bought a suitable thermometer, and that resulted in a huge sticky pot of tar. I couldn't give up since I had done it before so without consulting anything, I successfully carmelized the sugar which I promptely poured on my fingers resulting in three attractive blisters, oops. After all that hastle, the flan had a tall order to fulfill and even though they turned out fine, they were just, well, ok. I think I'll just have to do a classic pumpkin pie instead.